At the Director's discretion, the Department may maintain a complement of auxiliary police officers. Auxiliary police officers are not commissioned as law enforcement officers and will not be assigned to duties requiring sworn officer status.
Auxiliary Police Unit Purpose
The Auxiliary Police Unit is utilized to recruit and provide a force of volunteers to be used in emergencies, for large-scale special events, and law enforcement related community service functions. Auxiliary officers assist the Riley County Police Department with many events throughout the year to include, but not limited to:
- DUI Check lanes
- Prisoner Transports
- Fair Security
- Game Day Traffic
- Park Patrol
- Saturation Patrol
- Traffic Control
- Must be 18 years of age and out of high school. There is no upper age limit.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and reside in/near the Manhattan area once accepted.
- Must not have been convicted in state or federal court for any felony or crime of moral turpitude, or a crime of domestic violence.
- Must complete an application.
- Must pass an oral assessment and background investigation.
- As an Auxiliary officer you are required to put in 20 hours of "service" per quarter. These hours are not to include monthly meetings or training hours.
- Monthly meetings are held on the 2nd Thursday of every month at 1900 hrs. These meetings are mandatory. Any Auxiliary officer who is unable to make the scheduled monthly meeting will notify a superior officer before the meeting to explain their absence. Three unexcused absences from monthly meetings will result in dismissal from the unit.
If you are interest in more information about the Department's Auxiliary Police Unit please contact:
(785) 537-2112 email@example.com