To help foster a positive relationship with the community and to help citizens better understand what our officers do on a daily basis, the Riley County Police Department has a ride along program that puts citizens in police cars out on patrol with officers. Citizens can get a first-hand look at the challenges officers face each day and hopefully come away with a better understanding of the services we provide.
Ride along participants only act as observers. They do not perform any law enforcement work that the officer would normally do. They do not wear a uniform or badge, operate a patrol car, handle department equipment or weapons or complete any official paperwork. To apply for a ride along, complete this Ride-Along Application. Next, save as a PDF and then submit by e-mail to the address posted at the bottom of this page (this form does contain personal and contact information).
- The Patrol Division Commander, or designee, may allow civilians and law enforcement personnel from other jurisdictions to ride along with on-duty officers.
- Juvenile participants under age eighteen must secure additional approval from their parents or legal guardian.
- No more than 2 participants may ride along during the same time period.
- Participants will complete and submit their Application and Waiver of Liability at least 14 days in advance of their preferred ride along date and time.
- Applications will be routed to the Public Information Officer for processing.
- A local background check and criminal history check is completed on all applicants.
- Upon final review, the Public Information Officer or shift supervisor will contact the participant to notify them of their eligibility status.
- Required for all participants;
- Must be signed by all participants age 18 and over;
- Must be signed by all parents of participants under 18 years of age;
- Will reflect inherent risks of the ride along program and the participant/parent's acceptance of these risks;
- Will reflect participant restrictions and instructions.
- Clean, casual clothing in good condition is acceptable;
- Shorts or sleeveless shirts are not allowed;
- Open-toed shoes are not allowed.
- Conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times;
- At all times obey the directives of the officer with whom they are riding;
- Remain in the police vehicle during traffic stops;
- Not enter any building, home, or other area unless and until instructed to do so by an officer;
- Not interfere with officers while in the performance of their duties;
- Not photograph or record by any means, any activity, person or area without permission of the officer;
- Not become involved in the arrest or physical control of any person;
- Not carry weapons while participating in the ride along program, unless they are an active Law Enforcement Officer.
- Ride Alongs are not permitted after the hours of 9:30 PM or before the hours of 7:30 PM.
For more information or to schedule a ride along contact:
(785) 537-2112 firstname.lastname@example.org