Police Records

Records may be obtained at the Riley County Police Department Monday through Friday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM (except on holidays).

What records are available?

The Kansas Open Records Act governs most records maintained by the Riley County Police Department. Use the following guide to help assist you in your records request. Some records maintained by the Department are open for inspection. Copies are available for a fee. Commonly requested records include:

  • Police Incident Reports: Incident reports may be obtained by visiting the Riley County Police Department Records section in person or by mailing a request to the Department. Requests for reports in this manner must be accompanied by a $5.00 fee per report and, in the case of mail requests a self-addressed stamped envelope is required.

  • Accident Reports: To provide more accessible service to our community, the Riley County Police Department has contracted with CARFAX to implement an online program for obtaining copies of traffic accident reports. This will allow both citizens and insurance companies the flexibility of getting the reports online at their leisure. You can request reports 24-hours a day seven days a week.

    Motor Vehicle Accidents occurring after January 1, 2018, are available online (except fatalities) at CRASHDOCS.ORG. To search for a report enter the:

    • Report (Case) Number
    • Date of Accident
    • Driver's last name

    Copies of traffic accident reports generated prior to January 1, 2018, may still be obtained by visiting the Riley County Police Department in person or by mailing a request accompanied by a $5.00 fee per report and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

  • Arrest Summaries: Contemporaneous to the event to which the information relates.

  • Minutes: Minutes from the Riley County Law Enforcement Agency meetings.

Our informational brochure contains additional information on the following topics: 

  • How to request a record.
  • Associated fees.
  • What records are the exception.
  • Why would my request be denied.
  • How to obtain Criminal History information.
  • How to obtain a Driver's License check.
  • How to obtain a copy of the Kansas Open Records Act.


Requests for Police Records may be submitted in person to our Records personnel, mailed, faxed to 785-565-6550 or emailed to the individual below. For more information on Police Records at the Riley County Police Department contact:

Kari Breault
Records Supervisor; Fax: (785) 565-6550
(785) 537-2112 x2430