February 9, 2021
As The Riley County Health Department ramps up vaccine distribution, we would like to remind individuals to be aware of potential scams. While none have been reported in our area, the Riley County Police Department warns the community about several COVID-19 vaccination and testing scam tactics.
Possible scams to be on the lookout for are:
Ads for vaccines through social media:
- You see an ad on any number of social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) advertising a vaccine option. These will usually ask for personal information to make sure you qualify. Do not trust social media posts that are not from your local health department or government pages. (Riley County Health Department, Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Riley County, Riley County Police Department, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Requests for payment in order to get a vaccine or test:
- The COVID-19 vaccine will always be free of charge from the Riley County Health Department. You will never be asked for your bank details or to confirm your identity to receive the vaccine over the phone.
Requests for payment to have your name put on a vaccine waiting list:
- You can sign up to receive the COVID-19 vaccine through the Riley County Health Department at www.RileyCountyKS.gov/VaccineRequest.
- You will never be asked your bank details or to confirm your identity to sign up.
- There are websites designed to look like legitimate sources to get vaccine information. Clicking the links associated with the site gives scammers access to your computer or phone. Trust web addresses with ".gov" such as www.cdc.gov and www.fda.gov.
If you believe you have been the victim of a COVID-19 fraud, immediately report it to:
- HHS-OIG Hotline | 1-800-HHS-TIPS | tips.hhs.gov
- FHI Hotline | 1-800-CALL-FBI | ic3.gov
- CMS/Medicare Hotline | 1-800-MEDICARE
- Riley County Police Department | (785) 537-2112
For general questions related to the COVID-19 vaccine timelines and availability, members of the public can check the FAQ information online at https://www.rileycountyks.gov/.../Frequently-Asked-Questions
Questions can also be emailed to email@example.com