August 12, 2013
The Citizen's Police Academy is a 20-hour course that provides you with an opportunity to learn about the role of the police in making our community a better place to live. The Citizen's Police Academy is open to individuals from our community who are interested in learning more about how our police department operates. During the academy, citizens get an exclusive behind the scenes look at many aspects of the police department. They also learn about the laws and statutes that govern police actions. The fall 2013 Citizen Academy classes will begin September 5, 2013 and run most Thursdays from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Check out our calender of events.
The purpose of the Riley County Citizens' Police Academy is to develop a more positive relationship between the police and the community through education. The goal is to create a growing population of responsible, well-informed citizens who have the potential to influence public opinion about police practices and procedures.
What subjects are typically covered?
- September 5, 2013; History of the Riley County Police Department, Tour of the Facilities.
- September 12, 2013; The Riley County Jail and Staff
- September 17, 2013; ERU Tactical Team and the RCPD Negotiations
- September 26, 2013; Investigations and SIU
- October 3, 2013; Supporting RCPD, IA, and the Clandestine Lab Team
- October 10, 2013; Patrol Division and the RCPD Bomb Team
- October 17, 2013; Training a Law Enforcement Agency
- October 24, 2013; Crime Scene Investigation
- October 30, 2013; The K9 Unit and The Patrol Bike Team
- November 7, 2013; The Auxiliary Program and Graduation
If you are interested in more information or upcoming class dates please contact the Department's Public Information Officer (Public Relations).