Once you have reported a crime to a police officer, the report is reviewed by supervisors and is then forwarded to investigations. You will be contacted and advised of the status of your case. If the suspect is identified and sufficient evidence exists, the case will proceed to the courts. There are several steps involved in the criminal justice system:
- Arrest (or citation, for certain Misdemeanors)
- Preliminary Hearing (for Felonies)
If there has been an arrest, the court the offender must appear in depends on the location of the offense and the specific charges. You can call the appropriate court for information regarding the case:
- Riley County District Court (785) 537-6390 - handles all Felony cases and Misdemeanors committed outside the city limits of Manhattan and Ogden. Contact their Victim/Witness Coordinator for assistance.
- Manhattan Municipal Court (785) 587-2450 - handles all Misdemeanors committed inside the city of Manhattan.
- Ogden Municipal Court (785) 539-0338 - handles all Misdemeanors committed inside the city of Ogden.