The Riley County Police Department recognizes its responsibility to both itself and the public to thoroughly investigate all complaints of misconduct brought against its members. To accomplish this task RCPD has implemented an internal investigation procedure that provides for a diligent, systematic inquiry of complaints received. 

The purpose of the Internal Affairs function is to ensure complete, fair, and impartial investigations of citizen complaints. The Department's Internal Affairs Office investigates citizen complaints regarding police department personnel or policies. A positive relationship between the police and the public they serve, fostered by confidence and trust is essential to effective law enforcement.

To file a formal complaint through Internal Affairs regarding an RCPD employee:

  • Call the RCPD non-emergent line (785) 537-2112 to speak with Internal Affairs,
  • Fill out our online form, or
  • Fill out our mail-in form.

To file a complaint through the Kansas Attorney General regarding Racial or Other Biased-Based Policing:

To file a complaint through the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) regarding criminal conduct of an RCPD employee:

It is by these processes that complaints are investigated to determine if policy violations occurred. If so, corrective measures are used to ensure quality law enforcement and preserve the community’s confidence in the department. The Riley County Police Department explicitly prohibits any form of biased-based behavior by any of its employees. 

The Riley County Police Department also welcomes criticism of the department and valid concerns against its members or procedures that do not require filing a formal complaint or an internal investigation. These concerns can be voiced here>

Internal Affairs Reports

2020 Annual Report

• 2019 Annual Report

• 2018 Annual Report

• 2017 Annual Report

• 2016 Annual Report

• 2015 Annual Report

• 2014 Annual Report

• 2013 Annual Report

• 2012 Annual Report

For questions or concerns about the department's complaint procedures, or to make an appointment with our Internal Affairs Officer, please contact:

Lucas Breault
Lieutenant - Internal Affairs
(785) 537-2112 x2439